A garage door is an extremely heavy object and if not maintained regularly it can become a safety threat. Every year thousands of people get injured due to this, most of the cases are a result of negligence in repair and maintenance of the garage door. Therefore, you should play an active role in maintaining your garage door, so that it functions smoothly.
1. Professionals – Dealing with a garage door requires extensive knowledge of its numerous moving parts along with their working, therefore it is wise to let a trained personnel from a garage door maintenance firm take command. It is not advisable to handle the garage door repairs all by yourself, thereby placing yourself in a perilous situation.
2. Broken and malfunctioning doors – When a garage door ceases to function normally, it is an indication of either a faulty sensor or a problem with the garage door opener. A broken garage door is a major safety hazard and hundreds of injuries are caused every year due to mishandling. Therefore, make sure you get your garage door inspected during its maintenance to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
3. Negligence – The opening and closing of the garage door are day to day occurrences but if done carelessly you risk the chance of injuring yourself. Many a times your haste to pass by the door before it closes can cost you a grievous injury. Also if you don’t open or close the door carefully you could easily trap your finger in the rollers or the door track. Hence, a little precaution while operating the garage door never goes to waste.
4. Maintenance- A garage door requires a thorough maintenance from time to time, as it contains many delicate and intricate parts. The springs are the most significant ones and if not handled carefully, you may incur injuries from broken spring, or even worse, get your hand stuck in it. The bolts and hinges should also be inspected regularly, and if they are not taken care of, the complete door can fall off and cause severe injuries.
5. Safety Tests – Being a homeowner, it is your duty to ensure that the garage door is in proper working order. You should schedule regular safety tests to check your door’s durability. Seek guidance from a garage door manual or look it up online. You should make sure you examine the balance of the door, check if the sensors are in place and the door reverses readily, and determine the force of the door while it closes.
Scheduling regular maintenance of the garage door is the only way to ensure that no misfortune befalls you and your family. Routine tests and upkeep are sure to detect and control any malfunctions in the door, before it poses any serious safety threats.